BIO. I am a forty-two year old family man with 3 (soon to be 5) kids and a wife who is definitely my better half.
DIETING IN PUBLIC. I started 4HB on January 1 and blog about it at here at New John for a New Year. So far, I have posted something every day. It’s tough to come up with something worth writing but I try.
Why do I blog? Because I am purposely “dieting in public.” I am totally using you guys to keep me honest and to give me the feedback I need (both positive and negative) to stay on track and “just keep swimming.”
DAILYBURN.COM. It’s similar to why I visit the DB.com 4HB group so often and post when I can. The motivation, the tips, the resources, etc., that I have gained through the people there have been a real help in my journey to a healthier me.
I use the weight and bodyfat tracker on DB because I like the graphs they produce. I also track my weight and bodyfat on my weekly results posts and on my Results to Date page, using Excel to produce the graphs.
I did use the exercise tracker when I was doing Occam’s Protocol (see below) but have since stopped when I switched over to using Max Capacity Training. (Which I heartily recommend!)
I never did use the nutrition tracker on DB (though I did use the one on SparkPeople for a while).
MY PROGRAM. I started with normal SCD. Soon, I added PAGG. Then I started experimenting.
I’ve tried all sorts of 1- to 2-week experiments:
- Zero artificial sweeteners
- Adding artificial sweeteners back
- No caffeine
- Occam’s Protocol
- Max Capacity Training
- No Free Day
- Free Meals instead of Free Days
- Intermittent Fasting (both Eat Stop Eat and Lean Gain styles)
- Whey protein powder breakfasts
- Purple Wraath and Jack3d as supplements
- Using Cissus for my Free Days/Meals
- Using Cissus for every meal, every day
- Running 2-3 times per week
- Barefoot running
- New running shoes
For now, I have settled on what seems to be a pretty good system for me:
- SCD for any meal not a Free Meal
- 20- to 21-hour intermittent fasting 4-6 days per week
- Max Capacity Training workouts, three times per week
- (I sometimes workout fasted and it has proved not to be a problem)
- Running 1-3 times per week in well-fitted running shoes; a 5- to 6-mile route during the week before work and a 7- to 10-mile route on the weekends
- (If I can work in a second weekend run on the weekend, I do)
- Purple Wraath and Jack3d before I run in the mornings (they are non-caloric and so don’t mess up my IF)
- I stopped taking PAGG about two weeks ago and will likely not start up again
- I use Cissus for Free Meals but not otherwise
- Artificial sweeteners are allowed in moderation; Stevia when possible
RESULTS. Since January 1, I am down 26+ pounds and about 4.5% bodyfat.
I feel great. I look better than I have in a long time. And I am confident that I can continue this program for as long as I want to. =)
Work smart and work strong!
We will either find a way . . . or make one. — Hannibal
Max Capacity Training Workout Day 15 will be this evening. Last week, on the 50-10 protocol, this turned out to be easier on my tris and harder on my legs than I had thought. We’ll see how it feels on a Tabata protocol. Snowboarder’s 180:
Plank In & Out:
Nope. Not today. My hip flexors feel achy so I am going to put this off until tomorrow. But I will do it tomorrow.
Have a great night, folks!